Which document should I sign--a living will or a health care power of attorney?

Most people should sign both documents. A handful of states formally recognize only one or the other kind of document, but 46 states expressly permit both kinds. Where it is feasible to sign both, the two types of documents complement one another nicely. One (the health care power of attorney) appoints an agent to make decisions, while the other (the living will) directs the agent as to what decisions he or she should make.

<< Back to Questions