What To Do When a Loved One Passes Away
- File the will and petition in probate court in order to be appointed executor.
- Collect the assets. This means that you need to find out about everything the deceased owned and file a list of inventory with the court.
- Pay the bills and taxes. If an estate tax return is due, it must be filed within nine months of the date of death.
- Distribute property to the heirs. Generally, executors do not pay out all of the estate assets until the period for creditors to make claims runs out which can be as long as a year.
- Finally, you must file an account with the court listing any income to the estate since the date of death and all expenses and estate distributions.
Article source: elderlawanswers.com
- Elder Law
- Medicaid Planning &
Long Term Care Planning
- Nursing Home/Assisted Living
Facility Residents' Rights
- Special Needs Planning
- Asset Preservation Planning
- Planning for VA Aid & Attendance Eligibility
- Estate Planning
- Guardianship, Fiduciary &
- Personal Injury Litigation